Dear Members & Friends,
We hope that all of you are staying safe during these difficult times. We have been working hard to develop a new site so that we can stay better connected with our members as well as provide relevant materials so that members can continue their budo studies remotely. Please take a moment to review the updates below.
Member Subscriptions and Site Access
We have created three types of membership levels – Regular, Associate and Affiliate.
- Regular Membership– For students that practice both kendo and iaido.
- Associate Membership– For students that practice one art.
- Affiliate Membership– For members that study remotely but still want access to private lessons and course materials.
All three membership levels are managed by our website and will auto renew on the 5th of every month. In addition to regular group classes, which we hope to resume on August 1st, we will also be providing the following services:
- Access to a variety of instructional and documentary videos (the video tab will appear at the top of our website after you have selected a membership level).
- Access to downloadable literature (Historical and Instructional Books & Articles) (The documents can be found under the Download tab of the My Account page after you have selected a membership level).
- Access to exclusive budo related articles (coming soon!)
- Ability to book private class through our website.
These features are only available to members that have active membership subscriptions through our website.
- We will begin offering private kendo & iaido classes on May 6, 2020.
- Classes will be offered between 8:00am and 1:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- Each class will be for 1 hour.
- Private classes must be booked through our website.
- Private classes will only be for current members.
- To book a private class, go to our shop page and click on the Private Classes tab. You will only be able to view the private class if you are a current member.
During this pandemic, we understand that many have gone through financial hardship, therefore we have created the following discounts to assist members during these difficult times.
- Use coupon code COVID19MEMBERSHIP to receive a 50% discount on your membership for the next three months starting on May 5, 2020. Coupon expires May 31, 2020.
- Use coupon code COVID19CLASS to receive a 50% discount on your first 10 private classes. Coupon expires June 30, 2020.
- Use coupon code 2020PAID if you have already paid your membership for 2020 in advance. Auto payments will renew on January 5, 2021. Coupon expires May 31, 2020.
What’s currently uploaded?
We have already started to upload exclusive member content onto our website!
- Official ZNKR Seitei Manual (2014- most recent edition)
- Budo: The Martial Ways of Japan by Nippon Budokan (Complete Book)
- The History and Spirit of Budo Vol 1 by International Budo University (Complete Book)
- The History and Spirit of Budo Vol 2 by International Budo University (Complete Book)
- Official ZNKR Seitei Iaido Video in English spliced with Kaneda Sensei’s Instructional Video
- Official ZNKR Kendo Kata Video in English
- Showa Emperor Shiai from 1929, 1930 and 1940 (very rare vintage footage)
We will keep you updated when more content is added over the next few weeks.
Click here for membership registration! Memberships can be canceled at anytime from the My Account page.
Ryushin Shouchi Ryu
- We have spoken to Yahagi Soke about member rank certificates. They are ready to be mailed, however due to the current pandemic the Japanese Postal service has temporarily suspended EMS deliveries to the United States and several other countries. He believes that service with resume within the next couple of weeks.
- In the meantime, he has asked the we do our best to renew our 2020 Ryushin Shouchi Ryu Membership. You can do so on our website. (click here to renew your RSR membership).
We hope that all our members take this opportunity to continue their studies via our website and private classes. Our goal is to resume regular class by August 1st at the latest. If anything changes, we will be sure to update you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have.
Institute of Budo Studies